In the early 20’s they bought the family home at 228 Clark Street. The property was a couple of acres, so John always had a vegetable garden and fruit trees. He did not install electricity until 1935, and the house did not have indoor plumbing, including a bathroom until around 1940.
Business waned at Leach & Leach in the early 20’s and the business closed during 1924, but that is not surprising. At the time he opened his first business in 1894, John was one of about 10,000 carriagemaking firms in the United States. The industry peaked in about 1905, when nearly two million carriages were made nationwide. By 1940, the country had just five percent of the number of carriage makers that it had when John first went into the business.